Thursday, October 23, 2008

Familiar Faces

Facebook. My new vice. I joined back in July and it's brought me many faces I knew from the past. People I've worked with and who I truely miss. Kids I've been a counselor to at summer camp. But this week it brought back faces I knew in high school. (I hear the jaws music here in my head)

Now, high school had it's fair share of ups and downs for me. Up's being the years I spent cheerleading, designing the school yearbook, hanging out with friends, and driving all over town just because. The down's were well, what a teenager going through adolescense things are downs. A pimple on prom night, a break up because the wind was blowing north, forgetting to wear bloomers under your cheerleading outfit and realizing it when you are on the football track (thank god my coach had an extra pair just for an emergency). Some downs were far worse than others.  The death of an uncle, being bullied during lunch, boyfriend moving away to college and the break up that cut deeper than the others, a car accident on a cold slippery night, friendships that I thought were solid...weren't so solid. Some of these downs seem to have an effect on me in these later years. I have a hard time trusting people. I put up walls around myself. My outward actions don't always reflect how I am feeling inside. BUT despite all of those feelings inside....I have managed to make the most out of life and live it to it's fullest...because life is too short not to.

And all of this analyzation comes from these familiar faces on Facebook. These faces bring back the memories of high school. All of the memories, good and bad. Funny how a face can launch you right back to a place in time....like you've never left. Back when I graduated high school, I was sad and wanted to go back. And now looking back, I'm satisfied with where I am and where I'm heading with the knowledge of the past but the excitement of what's to come. All of this...because of the faces.

Deep. I know....

 

No comments: