Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Not A Cat Person

So I am not a cat person, but I have seemed to find myself with cats as pets over the years.

1.) Snickers: The grumpy old fat cat I had in high school. He was awesome. He hated everyone except for the 3 of us. He was best known for hissing at every single boyfriend that I had come into the house. That pleasantly amused my dad. The way we came about having him is humorous. My mom and dad aren't pet people, but this cat was roaming around the church for a couple weeks and people continued to feed it therefore it never left. One day I asked my dad if we could bring it home. I was in high school. I wanted a pet I could call my own and my parents refused all of my, "Can we get a dog?" questions. Well, he gave in and one day brought it home. ...And my mom threw a shit fit. "That thing is NOT coming in the house." was a phrase I heard quite loudly.

It eventually was allowed into the house.

Snickers lived to be quite the household pet until he got older and couldn't remember where the litter box was. That highly annoyed my mom (as it would just about everyone I know). He died the same day Princess Diana died and will be remembered for ever.

2.) Tasha: Orange Tabby. I received her as a gift. She was a cute and hyper kitten who loved to get into just about everything. How can you turn down a real live gift like that? They always are the cutest when their kittens. It's when they turn into adult cats and the attitude changes. The I'm the princess of the house and you will serve me attitude...just annoys me. And Tasha knew how to annoy me at the worst times. 5:30 in the morning is not the time to play. Ever.

She ended up going to live with my parents, because (a) my new place didn't allow pets and (b) well, I just couldn't do the 5:30am playtime anymore. (You know cats can knock loudly on doors? Well, if you didn't...you now know.)

3.) Hannah: A pity rescue. Some of my friends were out one night and in their "altered" state of mind saw a cat in the bushes. Instead of leaving it alone, they took it home with him claiming it was homeless and needed a good home. I love animals. Don't get me wrong...but I should have never agreed to taking this cat. She craves attention. And when she gets attention she has the LOUDEST purring. We refer to it as her motor.

Well, (6 years freaking later)the day has come that I just cannot keep her anymore. Rescuers remorse so to say. but of course I feel horribly that I have had to do this:


Please tell me I'm not a horrible person. I just am not a cat person. I just know there has to be some little girl out there that wants a cat. A companion she can call her own. I am not that girl anymore.

1 comment:

sara. no h. said...

You are soooo not a bad person! I ditched two cats- keely the wonder cat and Azrial. Keely lives in Southern Indiana and I have no idea about poor Az. I am just not a cat person at all- possibly because cats don't like me either- peeing on all my stuff and biting me. In any regard, a pet is a huge responsibility and if you aren't into better to give her to someone that is. It's a win-win